Longstay & Backpacker Travel

Cover for long stay trips

We offer a range of competitively-priced and comprehensive policies that are a great choice for people who are heading off for extended travel adventures.

Travellers could be jetting off for a gap year, heading off on a working holiday visa, or simply ticking as many things as possible off their bucket list!

The ‘Walkabout’ policy is a great option for the budget-conscious, as it includes all the core elements of cover that you would expect from your policy, at an enviable price. The maximum duration is 18 months. The ‘Walkabout Plus’ policy is our most popular policy of this type, as it includes all of the core elements of cover that you would expect, but also boasts extra benefits (such as cover for a lost or stolen passport or travel money) that offers valuable extra protection as you set off on your long-awaited trip. The maximum duration is 2 years.

Important information

Important information

Cover is only available to persons resident in the United Kingdom and is only valid for round trips starting and returning to the United Kingdom. If you have already left the UK, then our policies wouldn’t be suitable and we would suggest contacting World Nomads to seek out a suitable quote.

The Walkabout Plus and Walkabout policies allow you the flexibility to make unlimited return trips to the UK. Cover continues once you have left the UK again for the remaining duration of your policy.

Working abroad

If you will be working in either a voluntary or paid role, during part or all of your time away, then you need to pick the right policy, depending on the type of work that you plan to do. If your work plans involve only bar, cafe, shop or office work, then you can be covered under our Walkabout Plus or Walkabout policies.

If, however, your work plans fall outside of these categories, you will need to take out a Working Holiday policy. This policy has been designed to cover a wide-range of jobs, including farm work, TEFL teaching and working in an animal sanctuary. This policy can be taken out for up to a maximum of 2 years away from the UK.

None of our policies will cover you if your work involves:

• Working Underground
• Working at heights above two storeys
• Lifting weight in excess of 25kgs

Please note that no cover would be in place under the personal liability sections of any of our policies whilst working and you would also not be eligible for the lump sum payments under the personal accident section if an incident occurred whilst working.

Working abroad
Gap Year Travel Insurance

Gap Year Travel Insurance

If you’re heading away on your gap year, you may be confused about what sort of travel insurance you need to buy. Gap year travel insurance is likely to be different to the travel insurance you’ve had in the past for shorter trips, as it is covering one long period of time away from the UK, and there may also be additional cover benefits offered, to reflect the types of activities that are typically included in gap years.

Make sure you get the right insurance.

A range of optional extras can be selected including:

Activity Cover

If you are participating in any of the hazardous activities listed within an activity pack higher than pack 1 then you must purchase the appropriate hazardous activity pack.

Read more

Gadget cover

Upgrade the standard cover to cover theft or damage to your phone up to £2000 (normally excluded) or upgrade the standard cover for other gadgets.

Read more

See policy wording documents for full terms and conditions relating to these covers.

See an overview of the benefits of all of our policies.

Compare Policies

Read the full cover details in the Policy Wording Documents

Read more

Obtain a simple, straightforward quote and buy online